TV, Cinema, and Radio Concentration
This concentration focuses on the TV, Cinema, and Radio industries. Students learn preproduction, production, and post- production techniques and design principles involved in audio, video, and projects. Students also gain experience in producing, directing, and managing media projects for broadcast and non-broadcast distribution.
Who is this concentration for?
This concentration is for students in any of our majors, including both:
- Students interested in producing and directing fiction and documentary film and video
- Students interested in shooting, lighting, and editing film and video, as well as audio engineering
Why study in this area?
TV, Cinema, and Radio form the basis of modern storytelling. With the explosion in new media platforms, learning how to create compelling media content is more important than ever.
Why our program?
- Michigan State University Department of Telecommunication, Information Studies, and Media faculty are on the forefront of creative production in the area of TV, Cinema, and Radio. For more information, see the TV, Cinema, and Radio focus area.
- We have an excellent curriculum designed to give you the breadth and depth of skills in this area, while giving you the flexibility to customize your concentration to your specific interests.
- Our teaching facilities, including our video and audio studios, are top-notched, giving students plenty of hands-on experience.
Students have the potential to connect with our several production facilities, including:
- WKAR TV (PBS)
- WKAR Radio (Michigan Public Radio)
- IMPACT 89 FM Student Radio Station
- Spartan TV
- The Big Ten Network
- Telecasters Student Group
- CASmedia production group
- MSU Athletics
- We have many successful alumni of the program that come back to guest speak, teach, and mentor students
- Michigan State University has the best study abroad program in the country with more than 200 programs annually across 60 countries. While MSU students can participate in any study abroad program (viewable through the MSU Study Abroad Office), the Department of Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media offers the Film in Britain concentration-specific programs.
What can I do with this degree concentration?
Students graduating from this concentration have gone on to:
- Work at major media production companies, including NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, ESPN, and more
- Work on major film and TV productions
- Work at local Michigan companies, including such companies as regional TV and radio stations, media production companies
- Become entrepreneurs and start new successful companies