Scholarship Fund Type: Endowment
Scholarship Fund Established: Summer 1990
Scholarship Fund Description:
The Gene F. Jankowski Scholarship Fund honors Gene Jankowski's successful career and commitment to the telecommunication industry. A graduate of the College of Communication Arts & Sciences who earned an M.S. degree in Telecommunication, this fund reflects his belief in the value of a strong liberal arts education to prepare students to succeed in a rapidly growing profession.
In addition, as a part of Michigan State University's goal to promote cultural and ethnic diversity through MSU IDEA (Institutional Diversity: Excellence in Action), it is the intent of the Jankowski Scholarship to encourage outstanding diverse students to pursue careers in telecommunication and to help them achieve their objective at MSU.
This award further is intended to encourage students who have demonstrated the capacity to achieve educational and professional goals, the motivation to achieve these goals and the initiative to seek opportunities to further their progress.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements:
- Entering freshmen or current students who are graduates of the City of Detroit Public High Schools. As the Gene F. Jankowski Scholarships in Telecommunication fund grows, the program may be expanded to include students from other Michigan Public High Schools.
- Students who have been accepted into Michigan State University and have chosen the Department of Media and Informationfor their major preference.
- Excellent high school academic records.
- Demonstration of leadership ability through participation in extracurricular activities and community involvement.
Financial need may be considered.
- Submission of a 250-word essay addressing the applicant