“College grad job candidates with internship experience are considerably more likely to receive a job offer...
...and a significantly higher starting salary offer.”
2010 NACE Research
An internship within your field is one of the best ways to enhance job prospects after graduation. Internships prepare students for the real world by providing not only on-the-job practical experience, but also the opportunity to network and obtain valuable professional contacts. Most graduates feel the experiential learning gained through internships was instrumental in helping them land that important first job. The department strongly encourages students to take advantage of the internship program.
Goals of an internship include:
- Gain valuable hands-on experience.
- Apply and expand knowledge obtained from the classroom.
- Explore a potential career opportunity.
- Have responsibilities and be required to make decisions.
- Make good contacts.
- Earn a future recommendation.
- Learn more about the field/industry so that you are able to talk about it intelligently.
- Work in a professional environment.
- Positively represent the department and university.
- Work and collaborate with others.
- Take directions and complete tasks.
- Work in areas or on projects that you have not worked on before.
- Learn how a company operates.
How to Find Internships
The internship program is diverse enough to allow students a great deal of freedom in setting up their own uniquely tailored internship experience. Over the years, students have interned in all facets of the industry, both domestically and abroad.
We strongly recommend that students interested in internships visit MySpartanCareer.com to check out internship opportunities. Also visit the CAS internship page for more tips on how to obtain an internship.